Calibre is an open source e-book library management application that enables you to manage your e-book collection, convert e-books between different formats, synchronize with popular e-book reader devices, and read your e-books with the included viewer.
It acts as an e-library and also allows for format conversion, news feeds to e-book conversion, as well as e-book reader sync features and an integrated e-book viewer.
Calibre's features include: library management; format conversion (all major ebook formats); syncing to e-book reader devices; fetching news from the Web and converting it into ebook form; viewing many different e-book formats, giving you access to your book collection over the internet using just a browser.
Calibre 6.12.0 new features:
- E-book viewer: Read aloud: On Windows switch to using the new Microsoft speech subsystem with access to more voices
- Note that this means that old voice, speed and audio devices setting will not be used so a reconfiguration might be needed.
- calibre:// URL scheme: allow specifying a Virtual library for show_book URLs
- Add by ISBN: Allow adding using identifiers other than ISBN as well
- Update bundled Qt to 6.4 this means calibre on macOS is now only supported on Big Sur and newer
- Spell check dialog: Allow up and down arrow keys to work regardless of focus
- Allow multiple Template tester dialogs
- Windows MTP device driver: Ignore failure to enumerate objects inside non-root folders
- There are apparently a lot of devices out there that fail in this way. So rather than aborting the scan simply ignore the folder.
- Book list: Fix a regression in the previous release that broke dragging to select multiple books
- Content server viewer: Fix reload book not actually reloading until the browser is also refreshed
- E-book viewer: Fix occasional false warning about highlight being overwritten
- E-book viewer: Fix detection of selected highlights when all text is selected
- Fix an error when embedding metadata into a large number of books
- When updating metadata in EPUB 2 files and no language is specified, do not remove the
tag as this causes epubcheck to complain. Instead set the language to "und"
- Wireless device driver: Remove the timeout for initial connection
- Use an icon rather than a color to report errors in fields and the search box
- Conversion dialog: Regex builder: Workaround bug in Qt that prevented searching for non breaking spaces in the wizard used to test search expressions
- Spell check dialog: move down after correcting word, not up
- Get books: Fix Mobileread store plugin not working
New news sources
- Boston Globe Print Edition by unkn0wn
- Observer Reach Foundation by unkn0wn
- Improved news sources
- Jerusalem Post
- The Seattle Times
- India Today
- Outlook Magazine
- Live Mint
- Irish Independent
- Irish Times